Popular Posts

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Great Pregnancy Exercise: Swimming (Week 21)

I am pleased to say I am feeling less breathless and dizzy since my post last week. For one, I doubled my iron dosage, which has helped elevate my daily energy as well as my capacity to climb stairs. I also have started to take it easier in general: I walk, climb stairs, and do everything a bit more slowly than I used to. But what I'm most pleased about is that I've gotten back into the pool and have started a swimming regimen again. This is after  finding a new bathing suit that fit me.

How I Found a Swimsuit in the Fall
Given that it is the fall season and swimsuits in general are harder to come by, I found it difficult to find a maternity store that sold bathing suits. There is a specialty bra and swimsuit shop in Toronto called Melmira that not only offers a great selection of maternity bras, but also maternity swimsuits. Although I did go there to buy two maternity bras a few months ago, they cost me $250. Given the high prices of their bras, I assumed their swimsuits would likewise be expensive.

So instead I paid a visit to Bikini Village, who doesn't sell maternity swimsuits at all. I asked the clerk if there was any way I could find a regular suit that would fit my new body, and she said "of course!". I tried on two swimsuits before deciding on a simple Roots one-piece that was a few sizes larger than what I normally wear. Easy peasy!

Why I Love Swimming Right Now
Although walking is also great exercise when you're pregnant, when I walk for an extended period of time, I tend to feel pressure from the weight of the baby  in my lower abdomen, which is a bit uncomfortable. When I swim, I feel completely comfortable moving around in the water. In fact, it's a easier to move slowly while I'm swimming because I'm so buoyant now!

The Benefits of Swimming During Pregnancy
Swimming is great exercise because it uses both large muscle groups (arms and legs). It is both low-impact (reducing the risk of injury) and it is a great aerobic workout. In general aerobic exercise
  • improves circulation
  • increases muscle tone and strength
  • allows you to sleep better at night
  • improves your energy
  • helps you cool down from the emotionality caused by pregnancy hormones


Swimming Tips
  • If you are new to exercise, check with your doctor or midwife before starting any exercise 
  • Drink plenty of water to stay hydrated (swimming in a pool of water doesn't count!)
  • If you're in your first trimester
    • Try to swim for at least 30 minutes daily (if you have the energy). 
    • Swimming first thing in the morning may counteract nausea and energize you for the rest of the day
  • If you're in your second trimester
    • You don't have to change anything that you were doing in your first trimester--except you might need a new swimsuit
  • If you're in your third trimester
    • The breast stroke is particularly beneficial in the third trimester, because it lengthens the chest muscles and shortens the back muscles, two areas that typically become misaligned as your body changes during pregnancy

No comments:

Post a Comment