Popular Posts

Thursday, October 7, 2010

Pain in the Hip! (Week 20)

So, remember that article I wrote not-too-long ago about how the back and pelvis slowly may go out of whack as your pregnancy progresses? Well, it couldn't have been more aptly timed. For the past few weeks I have been experiencing pain in my lower back and hip. It first started pretty mildly, and would only hurt if I moved a certain way, like turning or bending over. It was a sharp stabbing pain that would go away whenever I stopped the particular movement I was doing.

As the weeks progressed, I maintained my toned-down exercise regimen that I've implemented since getting into my second trimester. However, the pain became more frequent and more movements became difficult to do. My clients would notice me limping about and would offer to help me do the normal tasks I would do while training them. Hmmm, not cool. It's one thing thing to endure some discomfort, it's another to let it affect my job. On top of which, it became increasingly difficult to exercise.

Katrina Kulhay to the Rescue
Fortunately, one of my clients referred me to a Toronto Chiropractor that specializes in pregnancy, Katrina Kulhay. I met her for the first time today. She is a positive, energetic woman who sincerely got excited over the news that I was pregnant, and began spouting words of advice on nutrition and exercise. Aside from telling me a lot of what I already know, she also told me to tone down the impact of the exercise I've been doing (which is something an active person hates to hear). This is because as my pregnancy progresses, the levels of relaxin (the joint-loosening hormone) will increase to a point where too much impact could cause my joints to slip around "like a banana". Eeesh.

When it came to the treatment, she obviously knew what she was doing. She was quick, efficient, and actually took the time to explain what she was doing to me as she was doing it. Since that single treatment this morning, I have progressively felt better throughout the day. In fact, as I write this, I am fully mobile again and almost completely pain-free.

Changing my Exercise Routine
Dr. Kulhay advised me to perform special exercises to help strengthen my pelvic floor. This will prevent future pain, as well as make it easier to push out my baby during delivery. These exercises included kegels, supine pelvic tilts, and assisted squats.

Assisted squats can be done with two chairs on either side of you. Holding the back of each chair in each hand, slowly lower yourself down into a squat position. Return to standing. While you complete the movement, use your hands to help slow you down as you lower your body, and help push you up as you raise your body.

Kegels and supine pelvic tilts can be done every day. Do 3 sets of 15-20 reps. For squats, do 3 sets of 15-20 reps every other day.

As far as working my abs and upper body, she said I could continue as I had been before. If you are suffering from lower back pain and discomfort like I am, I would recommend performing upper body exercises that are seated or lying down, so as to not stress your back.

1 comment: